Saturday, February 20, 2010

Dot your t's and cross your i's!

So there's a rumor going around that I'm going to start playing the cello because the viola just isn't working out for me. My mom talked to the orchestra conductor Mrs. Malloy and told her that I'm happy that I can fit orchestra into my schedule next year, but I'm not really happy with the viola. I quote, "She said she would learn to play cello if I gave her one." You know what Mrs. Malloy replied with? "Oh well I have two cellos! She can have one at school and one to keep at home." Two cellos? Whoa now.

I'm mostly excited to get the two cellos so I can name them. Why do people name their instruments? My first viola was from my brother Danny. I named it Jack. I grew attached to Jack, but after a year Danny wanted it back so he could play it. My second viola was rented from a music store. I named it Dalí. It has more scuffs and scratches than Jack, but I enjoyed playing it for the most part.

What's the name of your instrument (if you play one)?

6 comments:

Amy Lauren said...

LOL apparently cello is the thing to do now-a-days. My cello is naamed Frankencello because of it's scars and screw keeping the neck in place. haha!

Heidi Rose said...

Haha, Amy. That's funny.

My viola is named Violet, because that's the color of the thread on the ends of her strings (up at the top). They all matched because I got her brand new. Her A-string has busted twice though, and now it's a blue one. :) If she were a human, she would be a curvy black lady.

Lilly Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lilly Anne said...

At school there's two back-up cellos that are all scratched and old. One is darker than the other. They looked so old. I named the lighter cello Earnest, and the darker cello Esther. They're a couple. My friends and I all agree that's their names. Earnest helped me get high scores on a few tests, and he's great. Esther is a bit retarded.

Kelly Renée said...

Lilly, you're so funny. XD

Katie Marie said...

Ah, okay, now I see the post. I was so confused about why you were playing the cello all of a sudden, and I thought you mistakenly typed "cello" instead of "viola." Strange.

ANYWHO, I don't think I ever named my violin. So sad! But I name my cars! "Big Blue" and most recently acquired is "Lil Blackie" (the Amy-car I'm driving). I also name my stuffed animals. And I nickname my sisters. Okay, this post is going nowhere. Bye!